Prof. Dr. Jasnica Garašić is a Full Professor at the Faculty of Law of the University of Zagreb, where she teaches Civil Procedure Law and Insolvency Law.
Jasnica was granted a scholarship by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), and spent two and half years at the “Max-Planck Institute for Comparative and International Private Law” in Hamburg preparing her doctoral thesis. She received a Ph.D. with summa cum laude from the University of Hamburg (2004) where she wrote a thesis on international insolvency law (“Anerkennung ausländischer Insolvenzverfahren: ein Vergleich des kroatischen, des deutschen und des schweizerischen Rechts sowie der Europäischen Verordnung über Insolvenzverfahren, des Istanbuler Übereinkommens und des UNCITRAL-Modellgesetzes“; Peter Lang, Frankfurt am Main, 2005 – Part 1-pp. 499; Part 2-pp. 633).
As a Fulbright visiting scholar, she spent one year researching American bankruptcy law in the School of Law of the University of Texas at Austin (2007/2008). She has been a delegate of the Republic of Croatia to the UNCITRAL’s Working Group V for Insolvency Law since 2004.
She was a member of the Committee of the Ministry of Justice, which drafted the Croatian Bankruptcy Acts of 1996 and 2015, as well as the Committee, which drafted the Croatian Consumer Bankruptcy Act of 2015. Professor Garašić is also an examiner of the Croatian state exam for insolvency administrators (practitioners).
She often participates as a lecturer in educational workshops for insolvency judges and insolvency administrators. She has been participating in different international projects regarding civil procedure law and insolvency law and has been an invited speaker at many international conferences. She has published extensively, especially in the field of insolvency law. She is a member of INSOL Europe.
- Jasnica Garašić, ‘Regulation of “Personal Insolvency” in Croatia’ (2011) 61 Zbornik Pravnog fakulteta u Zagrebu 1487;
- Jasnica Garašić, ‘Basic Differences Between Croatian and European International Insolvency Law in Recognition of Foreign Insolvency Proceedings’ in Miklos Kengyel (eds) (Nomos Verlag, 2009);
- Jasnica Garašić, ‘Permissibility of the Opening of a Particular i.e. of a Secundary Bankruptcy Proceedings and Their Structure in Croatian Law’ (2008) 14 ZIK Insolvenzrecht & Kreditschutz 51;
- Jasnica Garašić, ‘The Opening of a Special (Secondary) bankruptcy Proceeding in Croatia’ in V. Buljan et al. (eds) (Inženjerski biro, 2007);
- Jasnica Garašić, Recognition of Foreign Insolvency Proceedings (Peter Lang, 2005).